Rutland Herald news
- Grants, donations sought for Chapel Details
- BURLINGTON — The Preservation Trust of Vermont has been awarded $747,000 from the National Park Service, according to Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy. Details
Annual Meeting for Clarendon Heritage:
Decision is made to donate Chapel 1871 to Preservation Trust of Vermont.
Chapel Repair: Report
Will the intact Bell of Chapel 1871 in North Clarendon ring once more in years to come?
Neighbors and residents of Clarendon-rich with early settler’s history, have set their mind to restore the old Chapel to bring back their village.
Bringing back the history of the area would enhance its uniqueness, foster pride for residents for its yesteryears filled with wonders that started 10’000 years ago when the last glacier receded, and Native American moved in.
Fire warden Clayton Rockwell has volunteered to paint the southern end, Jim Theodore of ITT Properties offered to do split rails, Bronson Spencer a survey. Jackson Evans, a window restoration expert, assists with various aspect of the stain glass windows, a crucial component of this revival. Devin Colman, Architectural Historian, who has worked on several projects in the area such as the Kingsley Bridge and the Grist Mill has deemed the Chapel National Registry eligible.
An incentive for everyone to better their town, gardens, and homes.
So, what is there to lose? Increase cyclists exploring the rural roads of our beautiful region? Attract new residents who will enjoy, protect, and invest in this untouched Vermont dominion and enclave?
“Bringing back the history of the area would enhance its uniqueness, foster pride for residents for its yesteryears filled with wonders that started 10’000 years ago when the last glacier receded, and Native American moved in the territory. Give an incentive for everyone to better their town, gardens, and homes…” says: Nicolette Asselin Board member and grant writer for the project.
On July 27th, during the ‘Town-Wide Sale’ the Chapel will be open for viewing. Please stop by, visit, share your stories, perhaps you may want to get involved in this community effort to bring back our forgotten precious jewels. The repurposing of a neglected building could bring new life in the old village.
Address: 437 Old Route 7 North Clarendon, VT
The Kingsley Covered Bridge (also called the Mill River Bridge) is a wooden covered bridge carrying East Street across the Mill River in Clarendon, Vermont. Built about 1870, it is the town’s only surviving 19th-century covered bridge. The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Cont
Built by Nichols Powers: Nicholas Powers was born on August 30, 1817 in Pittsford, Vermont. He lived in Ira for a period of time and spent his final days in Clarendon.
The Kingsley Grist Mill complex is located southeast of the junction of Gorge and East Roads, a short way southeast of the Rutland Southern Vermont Regional Airport. Roughly 3 acres (1.2 ha) in size, it includes a c. 1778 house, 1885 horse barn, and a mill complex, most of whose elements date to the 1880s. The district also includes the foundational remnants of a second mill and the mill dam, a timber crib dam whose main structure was washed away by flooding in 1927. An old alignment of the main road connecting Clarendon to Shrewsbury is also believed to pass through the property (now serving as its main drive). Cont
The Department of Housing and Community Development presents the Downtown and Historic Preservation Conference on Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at downtown venues across the City of Montpelier. The event is made possible by a partnership with Preservation Trust of Vermont, Montpelier Alive, the City of Montpelier and participating sponsors.
Built by the Union Chapel Society of Clarendon in 1890. This small country chapel is a good example of vernacular design at the close of the century. Note especially the snowflake decorating the tower. Cont
Photo Credits: Mark Cassino
Mark Cassino is a fine art and natural history photographer based out of Kalamazoo, Michigan. His work runs the gamut from micro-photographs of individual snow crystals, to close ups of butterflies and birds, to landscapes depicting Michigan’s unique terrain. We thank him for his generous use of these photos.
Speaker of the Vermont House of Representatives 1803 – 1804
Judge Theophilus Harrington came to Vermont in 1785 from Rhode Island and became a member of the Ira church. He was a plain dirt farmer, not a lawyer, but served on the Supreme Court of the state and made the famous decision in a case involving ownership of slaves in a free state, an account of which follows.. Cont
Upon Judge Harrington’s monument is chiseled the following inscription:
“He sleeps on the hills
No slave ever trod,
Nor claimant brought bills
From Almighty God.”
Paul Bruhn and Jo Bradley celebrated for advancing Vermont’s economy
Vermont Business Magazine The Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development honored the Preservation Trust of Vermont Executive Director Paul Bruhn and Vermont Economic Development Authority (VEDA) Chief Executive Officer Jo Bradley Wednesday for their efforts to grow Vermont’s economy. The two Vermonters received the Agency’s Vermont Economic Advancement Award during the ThinkVermont Legislative Luncheon in Montpelier. Read full story